How to Install VLC Player in Linux OS
The Video LAN project is lead and composed of a team of volunteers,that believes in the power of open source when dealing with multimedia.
The VideoLAN non-profit organisation
The VideoLAN project is backed up by the VideoLAN organisation, based in France.
The VideoLAN non-profit organisation has a comittee and members that are part of the VideoLAN project.
The current board of VideoLAN is composed by:
President: Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Treasurer: Ludovic Fauvet
Secretary: Felix Paul Kühne
Video LAN produces free software for multimedia, released under the General Public License.
Features OF VLC Player
- Simple, fast and powerful media player.
- Plays everything: Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed:
- MPEG-2, DivX, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3…
- Runs on all platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix…
- Completely Free, 0 spyware, 0 ads and no user tracking.
- Can do media conversion and streaming.
The project started as a student project at the French École Centrale Paris, in 1996. After a complete rewrite in 1998, it became Open Source, thanks to the agreement of the École Centrale Paris, in 2001.
The project started to open up to developers outside of the École. It is now a worldwide project with developers from 20 countries.
Since 2009, the project is completely separated from École Centrale Paris, and is backed up by an autonomous non-profit organisation.
How to Install VLC Media Player in Linux OS
What is VLC
VLC’s latest packaged version is always in the official Debian unstable branch.
[Sumo@AMDI ~]$ sudo yum install vlc
sudo apt-get install vlc